PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE SUBMITTING
Reading may slow during the summer and winter holidays, but all submissions will be read. Thank you for your patience.
- All submissions must be online submissions. We do not accept submissions by post or email. You may check the status of your submission on our online submission manager.
- Please choose your category/genre correctly. Failure to do so will likely result in your submission taking longer in the system.
- We prefer one submission per author. Please submit poems, flash fiction pieces, or other short works together in a single document. Photographs are the exception: they may be submitted separately in different files from the same photographer.
- Submissions should be previously unpublished in North America. We do not accept previously published work, including work published online.
- Length of submissions should be 5,000 words or less for Fiction and Creative Nonfiction. Poetry 1,000 words or less.
- Cover letters are welcome but not required. However, a short biography must be included with all submissions.
- Conclave will consider simultaneous submissions. If a submission is accepted by another publisher, please notify us immediately. You will receive notification of your work's withdrawal.
- We prefer Times New Roman 12 but will not reject submissions in other formats. Please double space fiction; single space poetry.
- International submissions are encouraged, but all submissions must be in English.
The best way to get a sense of the kind of material Conclave is
looking for is to read the magazine.
(Back issues are
available.) We do not consider previously published material.
Simultaneous submissions are fine. Response time is generally 2 months.
Conclave seeks writing that centers around well-crafted characters—complex and authentic: like Scarlett O'Hara, Huckleberry Finn, Anna Karenina, Hamlet, Miss Havisham, Hannibal Lecter, Hester Prynne, and others. Whether you love them or hate them, these characters are unforgettable and infuse their stories with life beyond the page. Those are the kinds of enduring characters we'd like to have populate the artfully crafted stories in Conclave.
What makes a good character?
We reserve the right to put your piece on our web site and/or publish it
electronically if it has appeared in our journal. If we accept your work, we
understand you grant us first North American serial rights (and Conclave
anthology rights, if applicable). All subsequent rights are yours, though we
expect any future publication to carry acknowledgment that the work first
appeared in Conclave.
What are we looking for in a photograph?
- Include high-quality JPEGs of 300 dpi, 5" x 7".
- Because the interior of the magazine is printed in black and white, only black and white submissions may be included for the interior pages.
- Outstanding color submissions will be considered for the front cover.