PLEASE READ CAREFULLY BEFORE SUBMITTING
Reading may slow during the summer holidays.
For our autumn issue, we are particularly seeking works on a Halloween theme. Ghosts, pumpkins, death, candy, childhood, leaves, bones, the color orange...what does Halloween make you think of?
- All poetry and fiction submissions should be in document form, not PDF. Art submissions should be jpgs.
- All submissions must be online submissions. We do not accept submissions by post or email. You may check the status of your submission on our online submission manager.
- Please choose your category/genre correctly. Failure to do so will likely result in your submission taking longer in the system.
- Please submit poems, flash fiction pieces, or other short works together in a single document. Photographs may be submitted separately in different files from the same photographer.
- Submissions should be previously unpublished in North America. We do not accept previously published work.
- Length of submissions should be roughly 5,000 words or less for Fiction and Creative Nonfiction.
- Cover letters are welcome but not required. However, a short biography should be included with all submissions. You may include your biography either in the notes section or in the body of your submission.
- Conclave will gladly consider simultaneous submissions. If a submission is accepted by another publisher, please notify us. You should thereafter receive notification of your work's withdrawal.
- We prefer Times New Roman 12 but will not reject submissions in other formats. Please double space fiction; single space poetry.
- International submissions are encouraged, but all submissions must be in English.
The best way to get a sense of the kind of material Conclave is
looking for is to read the magazine.
(Back issues are
available.) We do not consider previously published material.
Simultaneous submissions are fine. Response time is generally less than 2
months, but may reach 3 months in the spring and autumn, around our release
dates. Reading is also slower during the winter holidays. We appreciate your
patience, and honor our contributors.
Conclave seeks writing that centers around well-crafted characters—complex and authentic.
What makes a good character?
We reserve the right to put your piece on our web site and/or publish it
electronically if it has appeared in our journal. If we accept your work, we
understand you grant us first North American serial rights (and Conclave
anthology rights, if applicable). All subsequent rights are yours, though we
expect any future publication to carry acknowledgment that the work first
appeared in Conclave.
What are we looking for in a photograph?
- Include high-quality JPEGs of 300 dpi, 5" x 7".
- Because the interior of the magazine is printed in black and white, black and white submissions should be included for the interior pages.
- Outstanding color submissions will be considered for the front cover.